Interview Scheduling SaaS Product
December 2020 - February 2021
Led the re-design of end-to-end experience interview scheduling software. I conducted research, identified pain points, and improved the user experience.
High Fidelity Prototypes
Myself- Product Design
Thanh - Lead Software Engineer
Quang - Product Manager
Recuiters was not interested in the new product.
Rakuna is a San Francisco-based SaaS startup in the HR tech space. They provide a one-stop mobile and online solution for employers to hire candidates and find qualified leads at recruiting events. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rakuna shifted its focus to online recruiting and introduced new services, such as interview scheduling.
1. Create a better user experience that will lead to paying customers.
2. Create a product that reduces the needs for demos.
3. Focus on making smaller changes instead of a complete redesign.
How I Gathered Data and Information to Improve the Product
1. Competitors' videos: I watched demos of competitors' videos from major players in the HR tech and interview scheduling industry. This gave me a good understanding of the features and functionality of their products and their target audience.
2. Industry reports: I read industry reports to get a sense of the trends in the HR tech and interview scheduling industry. This helped me to understand the needs of users and the challenges facing businesses in this space.
3. User interviews: I conducted user interviews first with our internal team and then the users to get their feedback on the product. This helped me to identify pain points and opportunities for improvement.
1. Users only use our software for big interview events that can last multiple days.
3. They were having a hard time creating an interview event on our website. Therefore, need to create multiple events.
The Current Design and Flow
The current page layout has multiple users flow flaws, where most of the time they get distracted from tasks that they need to accomplish. In this situation, it is to navigate to the Description & Forms tab to choose a form.
Step 1: Start
Step 7: End
Step 6 : Add descriptions and forms.
Step 2: Fill in the blank.
Step 3: Generate
Step 4 : Preview and add additional information.
The previous designer focused a lot on the "3 click rule", making the users confused and lost.
Step 5: Change tab
High Fidelity Mock-Up
Step 1: Start
One of the biggest problems in this step is that when the user clicks "Generate Timeslot" it does not redirect the user to where the timeslots are. Instead, it stayed at the 1st step. I solved the problem by bringing up the timeslot and putting it into the second step. This eliminates the problem, but the team at Rakuna prefers to solve the problem bring bringing the screen down so they do not have to rewrite too many things.
With the previous design, there was a lot of wasted space. For the new design, I want everything to be in one place. Timeslots are now more compact, so users can quickly scan and make quick decisions.
In the old design, if the user forgets to set the Description & Forms, the interview invites will send out a blank email with only the date and time.
With the new design, I incorporated Description & Form into the third step of the interview scheduling process. This really streamlines the process and creates a better flow. It makes this process impossible to miss.
I started by grouping related information to help users input information faster.
Minor changes to create a more seamless experience:
1. The time changed from UTC to regional time zones. This will make the time zone selection more relevant to users in different parts of the world.
2. Remove the asterisk (*) from the required fields. This makes the screen less busy and restrictive.
3. An option to add additional dates. This was a highly requested feature by users.
Step 5: End
- How might we improve the existing process so that the onboarding journey for its users is better and easier?
- Easy for the user to learn and quickly adapt.
- Since most users have been using this product, I do not want to complicate the old onboarding process. Instead, I decided a one-step product tour was the best option. This points out the key features that solve the design challenge perfectly.
The new flow was implemented in response to user feedback, which addressed concerns about the user interface process. The new flow is more user-friendly and efficient, thanks to simplified instructions and a guided approach. As a result, the new flow has been a huge success, with both new and existing users adopting it.
Working remotely as a sole UX/UI designer was challenging, but I learned how to collaborate more efficiently remotely and learn how to solve problems holistically.
I had to think outside the box, from logging in to receiving emails. So many problems were tied to the product itself, and it had a domino effect on the other steps of the process.
How we did
“The biggest problem we managed to solve with Rakuna's Interview Scheduling function is arranging dozens of interviews every time we announce an open position. You don’t think you need an interview scheduling function until you are overwhelmed. We no longer have to send back-and-forth emails to schedule nor having to update the calendar ourselves. Now, it’s all automatic with the help of Rakuna.”
Jonathan L - HR Manager